Sunday, April 29, 2012

Norwegian would

If I were King of Norway, I would put a blanket ban on any reporting of the trial. I would give him name suppression and expunge any detail of the man that would lead to his identification. Of course, you can't do that, I know.
No, because you are not King of Norway; but, even if you were King of Norway you would not be able to do that, because Norway is a constitutional monarchy and has the rule of law.

Clearly, Kerre Woodham  did not wile away the long hours of the train journey from Wellington to Hamilton  with a good book.

Meanwhile in Otago, the punishment for offering a bribe is a verbal reprimand.

If I were a columnist, I would make some sort of tenuous connexion between the one and the other, just like the columnists always do. But I can't be arsed.

Here, as some sort of compensation is a brilliant review by the estimable John Gray, one of the most interesting men I have ever met.

Here are the Jefferson Airplane on a roof:





 

1 comment:

Peter in Dundee said...

'Twas ever thus Paul. Back in the day (early '90s) when I held a teaching fellowship some third years asked me in a tutorial whether I knew where the exam scripts were held. I replied that I did, having seen them on a visit to the HoD's office. On hearing that they enquired about how much it would cost for me to get them copies (not really seriously, but hmm). I replied my expected lifetime salary as an academic scientist as that is what it would cost me if I were caught doing so.

My price was too high. I did however assure them that I would do my utmost to prepare them so they would do well without cheating.